Wednesday, April 24, 2013


This was our favorite thing to do every morning.  We arrived on Monday evening so we went right down to the beach and made plans for the morning to come back.  It was so funny. London wanted to be up by 7am combing the beach.  I think we got down there at 8:00.  We had so much fun.  The first day we just found bits of shells and lots of normal little shells; nothing special.  These pictures are of our second day when we really got serious!

We were up early, bought a beach bag and were ready to go!  We turned left this time and went down the other way.  Wowzers!, did we have good shelling.  At first we were picking up everything on the edge.   We found some amazing coral bits everywhere.  There must have been lots of coral deeper in.  We didn't go far.  Remember the shark warnings?

Look at all the shells!  It was so much fun looking for treasures.  Everything we found we had to show off and ooh and aah over.  These little shells were everywhere; much more than were on the other side.

This was during reading week, our vacation in February. They were having the Food Network's food and wine fair.  I was hoping to see Guy and Rachel or maybe Martha and Emeril but I didn't see any of them!  It was neat to see all the white tents going up everywhere though.

We found this little guy...poor little thing.  It was a cool looking fish.  He had a rough night.  We also saw a huge sea slug.  I know we took pictures but I can't find them now.  It was still alive so Sean  got brave enough and threw it back in. 

I wish we could have brought this home.  I bet it would have dried well.  Isn't it amazing?!  We found some pretty amazing pieces of coral that we did haul home.  I bet our bag weighed over 20 lbs by the time we finished.

This was our first really good shell find!  We were so excited! 

We figured out that just at the edge of the surf there was a big drop off and when you looked in you could see great shells!  So we started wading into the water.  Sean went back to the hotel and got his snorkel stuff and swam for hours finding good stuff for us!  It was funny, we were planning on just going for a little walk and looking for shells but we were gone around 4 hours!  We weren't dressed for it and I didn't have sun screen on so I burnt so bad!  I was so sad I had to stay out of the sun for a few days!

Look how wet London got!  She would see a shell and in she would go bending to get it only to have a wave come in and soak her.  We started going in and taking huge handfuls of sand and then sifting it to find shells.  We found so many!  I loved this one, especially the color but it still had an occupant so we played with it for a while and then threw it back in.

Cool huh!  Don't you love the droplet?  I love the eyes too!  It creeped me out just holding it.
My feet were so sore going back from the sand we decided to walk on the board walk instead!  By now I realized I was burnt and was hurting.

Look at the cute Canadian Surf bums I found!



Kathy T. said...

Looks soooo nice! When we were in Miami we couldn't go into the water because the surf was rough and was throwing rocks! Weird. So beautiful though!

Gicela said...

So fun! I can't wait to go on fun beach vacations one day when it will be enjoyable and not a circus!